A tummy tuck (or abdominoplasty) continues to be one of the most popular ways that Dr. Seth can rejuvenate the appearance and contour of your abdomen. When diet and exercise are not enough, a tummy tuck can completely transform how you look and feel by removing excess skin and stubborn fat deposits, and by tightening your abdominal muscles. With a reputation for impressive outcomes and high patient satisfaction in Chicago and the North Shore, Dr. Seth will work with you to achieve results that often exceed your expectations.
- Procedure Length: 2-3 hours
- Anesthesia: General
- Disposition: Outpatient
- Recovery: 3-4 weeks
Why A Tummy Tuck?
There are several reasons why a tummy tuck might be right for you, including:
- Eliminating excess skin of the upper and lower abdomen after pregnancy or weight loss
- Strengthening your abdominal core muscles that have weakened or separated (diastasis recti)
- Removing stubborn areas of abdominal fat that don't improve with diet and exercise
- Improve the overall contour of your abdomen after a c-section or other previous abdominal surgery
Case ID: 255
What Are My Options?
Although a traditional tummy tuck is the most popular way to enhance and rejuvenate your abdomen, Dr. Seth is often able to customize your procedure to ensure that he meets your goals and expectations. During your consultation, Dr. Seth may discuss the following options with you:
- Classic Tummy Tuck
- The most common and popular type of tummy tuck or abdominoplasty, this procedure addresses the excess skin of the upper and lower abdomen as well as your abdominal core muscles. Dr. Seth uses a small incision around your belly button, and an incision from hip-to-hip that is placed as low as possible so that it hides in the underwear or bikini line. The result is contouring of the entire abdomen.
- Mini Tummy Tuck
- For some patients, stubborn excess skin and fat below the belly button is the only thing that bothers them about their abdomen. A mini tummy tuck can be enough to address these concerns, while using a shorter incision than a classic tummy tuck. However, a mini tummy tuck will not improve any weakness in your abdominal muscles.
- Extended Tummy Tuck
- Similar to a classic tummy tuck, an extended tummy tuck results in full rejuvenation of the entire abdomen, but can also address any excess skin and fat in the hips and flanks. By extending your incision around the sides of your hips, Dr. Seth is able to seamlessly blend and smooth the contour of your entire abdominal wall. This can be particularly helpful in patients that have loose skin from massive weight loss.
- Depending on your areas of concern and the distribution of fat in your abdomen, Dr. Seth may recommend some liposuction at the time of your tummy tuck. This will further enhance your final outcome, particularly over your flanks or hips. If you are interested in liposuction of other areas, this can also sometimes be combined with a tummy tuck.
- Mommy Makeover
- For many women, pregnancy can impact not only the look and feel of their abdomen, but also their breasts. Fortunately, Dr. Seth offers 'mommy makeover' surgery, which combines breast rejuvenation (using a breast augmentation and/or breast lift) with a tummy tuck for an all-in-one body restoration.
How Much Does It Cost?
The cost of tummy tuck surgery can vary between $10,500 and $13,500. This cost is individualized to each patient and can depend on several factors, including:
- Fees charged by the anesthesiologist and surgical facility
- The surgical technique and anticipated technical difficulty of your procedure
- The expected duration of your procedure
After your consultation, you will receive an individual quote for the anticipated cost of your tummy tuck. If you are interested, third-party payment plans may be available for eligible patients.
Read what our patients are saying!
Frequently Asked Questions
What are my restrictions after surgery?
- Generally most patients begin feeling like themselves again after 1-2 weeks. You will be ok to resume light activity whenever you feel comfortable. Generally, more strenuous activity and exercise can be slowly resumed starting at 4-6 weeks after surgery.
Will I need surgical drains?
- In general, all patients will need one or two surgical drains following surgery to manage fluid buildup and swelling after surgery. These are temporary and are removed in the office. You will receive teaching on how to care for your drains before surgery so that you are fully prepared to care for yourself. Once your drains are removed, Dr. Seth will typically recommend wearing a compression garment to further manage swelling for the next few weeks.
When can I drive?
- You are ok to drive once you are no longer taking any 'strong' or narcotic pain medication and when you feel comfortable behind the wheel to be safe.
When can I go back to work?
- You can return to work when you feel comfortable to do so, keeping in mind your activity restrictions. For most patients, this means going back to work after 4-weeks.
What can I do for my scars?
- Although the scars from an tummy tuck tend to heal well and fade over time, there are certain scar care tips that Dr. Seth will recommend after surgery to help optimize the appearance of your scars. These may include scar massage and scar creams. In general, most of Dr. Seth's tummy tuck patients are so thrilled with the contour of their abdomen that they are not bothered by their scars. Dr. Seth will also make every effort to make sure your scar stays hidden in your underwear or bikini line.